What is BotDetect CAPTCHA?
CAPTCHA is an acronym for Completely Automated Public Turing Test to Tell Computers and Humans Apart. As the name suggests, it's a kind of test that can reliably determine is the solver human, allowing webmasters to tell bots and humans apart.
Captcha software is a program automatically generating and grading Captcha tests that:
- Most people (i.e. real human users) can easily pass
- Current bots (i.e. various computer programs) can't pass
Bots are the Problem and CAPTCHA is the Solution
With the exponential growth of online services and businesses, website security has become a serious concern for webmasters and web application developers.
The Problem: Bots
Many software programs are written and used to impersonate human beings, mimic their surfing patterns, and imitate their online activities for various malicious purposes. These "pretending to be human" programs are referred to as bots (short for "robots"), spambots or spam bots (since they are most commonly used for spamming).
The Solution: CAPTCHA
BotDetect Captcha is an efficient out-of-the-box security solution designed to deal with this threat, available as an ASP.NET Captcha Control for .NET web applications, an ASP Captcha Component for Classic ASP forms, or a PHP Captcha Library for PHP forms.
Using Captcha images specifically designed to be out of the reach of currently available computer vision and OCR technologies, bots can be prevented from accessing protected website functionality.
While computer programs cannot read the textual code from the image, it is easy to read for most humans. So the answer to the webmaster's question "is the current client submitting this page a real person, and not a bot?" will be the same as the Captcha validation result.
To keep websites accessible to the blind and people with impaired vision – for whom reading the Captcha images could be a problem – BotDetect also provides a sound Captcha alternative, pronouncing the textual code to users who prefer to hear it.
BotDetect CAPTCHA Applications
- Prevent automated spam submission: BotDetect Captcha images ensure that an email, blog comment, forum post, guestbook entry or social networking message is sent by a human, not a bot.
- Prevent automated registrations: BotDetect Captcha images block bots that sign up for thousands of email, forum or social networking accounts every minute.
- Prevent automated friend requests: BotDetect Captcha images block bots that send thousands of fake friend requests on social networking and instant messaging sites every minute.
- Secure login pages: BotDetect Captcha images prevent dictionary attacks and brute force attacks trying to guess login information
- Block malicious crawlers: BotDetect Captcha images guarantee that bots trying to leech content or find vulnerabilities to exploit won't access protected website sections.
- Prevent poll manipulation: BotDetect Captcha images protect online polls by ensuring only humans can vote and automated voting scripts can't manipulate the results.
- Prevent resource harvesting: BotDetect Captcha images protect online games and virtual worlds with economic systems from automated virtual resource ("gold") harvesting.
- Prevent cheating in contests: BotDetect Captcha images protect skill-based online games from fraudulent users who employ bots to achieve unfair advantage over other players.